When I found out my sweet friend and co-worker was having a little girl, I immediately knew that I wanted to make her a diaper cake and accessorize it with cute girlie pink items : ) I’m excited to share with you today this easy DIY Diaper Cake Tutorial!
Now let’s make a diaper cake!
DIY Diaper Cake Materials:
*What you will need to make just the cake part:
~diapers (I ended up using half the box–52 diapers total. I also purchased a larger size so they
would have time to flatten out before they are needed.)
~paper towel roll or something that you can use to attach the diapers to (I’ve also used a aveno
gift set before as a surprise!)
~base for the diapers to sit on (I used a cake base because I was lazy that day and didn’t feel like
cutting a circle out of cardboard)
* Fun Accesories:
~Topper (stuffed animals work great!)
~anything small from the registry that you can squeeze on the cake
~cute accessories (will depend on the mom to be–some examples below)
-Sunglasses which are cute for pictures
-Headband with flower which doubles as a decoration for the cake
-Anything you think the mom to be will like for her new baby : )
DIY Diaper Cake Instructions
1) Attach your paper towel roll or whatever you are using to your base via tape (I used shipping
tape because that’s what I had on hand)
2) Now start rolling those diapers and secure each one with a rubber band! I went ahead and placed 5 around my paper towel holder.
3) Place one rubber band around all five diapers. Make sure it hits below the rubber bands already on the diapers. Then take off the individual original rubber bands. This way Mom to be won’t hate you for having to remove a gazillion rubberbands 😉
4) Depending on the size of your base, repeat step 3 until the base is covered. I was able to get 31 diapers on my bottom layer. I did not have a rubber band big enough to wrap around the entire bottom layer, so I went ahead and used some pink ribbon to secure it. This was definitely a two person job and not my most graceful of moments : )
5) Repeat two more times : )
For the middle layer of the diaper cake, I was able to fit 16 diapers. On the very top, I fit 5 diapers.
6) Now for the fun part! Time to decorate the diaper cake with some of your favorite pink or blue items. I topped the cake with a fun pink elephant. For some reason, I can never find a good ole fashioned teddy bear whenever I’m making a diaper cake. I did not attach the elephant, just set it on top for easy removal. Then I began tucking items in the ribbon….and voila!
What other fun items do you add to your diaper cakes?
Thanks for stopping by!